“Combating hate speech for the sake of pluralism and tolerant democratic society”
“Institute of Liberal Politics” NGO started implementing the “Combating hate speech for the sake of pluralism and tolerant democratic society” project with the financial assistance of the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the Republic of Armenia. The goal of the project is to reduce the level of hate speech in Armenia through non-formal education, awareness-raising campaigns, and national legislation amendment that will lead towards the promotion of freedom of speech and protection against discrimination on political, economic, religious, or other believes as well as educating new generation tolerant and open-minded.
The project started on the 1st of October 2022 and has a duration of 1 year. It is a multi-component project and includes:
• 11 training for politicians, media representatives, CSO, youth, civil activists.
• 3 information distributing events for counterparts, national stakeholders, international organizations’ representatives, and embassy representative in Armenia,
• 23 training for 6 regions and Yerevan high school students.
• Development of a policy paper on addressing the measure made by the International Court of Justice and a package of legislation amendments regulating hate speech/crime in Armenia.
• An awareness-raising campaign through the creation of 4 social videos, social advertisements, and posters.
• Public opinion surveillance and Mass Media monitoring (3 TV channels, 5 Internet-based Media, and 3 printed newspapers – total of 11 units of Media).
• Developed and printed manuals on “Media Literacy” and “Preventing bullying”.
An essential part of the project is cooperation with national and international stakeholders. An institutional partnership with the Office of the Ombudsman of Armenia, the Ministry of Justice of Armenia, national and local NGOs is established.
Regular updates on the project and its success will be provided through the Website and social media platforms of the Institute.